Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bricks and mortar


The bricks (Boral La Mesa) arrived Feb18th as promised, but the house hadn't been wrapped, problems with windows hadn't been rectified and the brickies weren't ready to start, so another week and a bit on my brickies finally came on site!!!  What a lovely bunch of fellas they were too - local lads who seem to work at a cracking pace for just the 3 of them.  While bouncing around in excitement to finally see solid walls growing from the ground, out the corner of my eye I noticed big sloppy cow pats of dark grey 'mud' (aka mortar) being applied to the wall.  While trying not to ruin the relationship I was trying so hard to build with my new best friends I coyly enquired about how dark it looked.  You see, I had ordered off-white mortar which has a creamy appearance but all I could see was prison cell grey.  After much assurance it would lighten up in a week or so, I went away with a niggling feeling and felt not so pleased with the way my $6k bricks looked - it wasn't what I had spent many sleepless nights imagining.  After some advice, my new neighbour Jo suggested I check out the dry mortar on the ground to get a more accurate idea of the finished result- how clever was she?!  That also meant another visit to site the following day and yet again my reputation for stalking preceding me.  Smiley, smiley with donughts and coke in hand, while sneaking  looks toward the ground, I mentioned that the mortar despite its amazing lightening up potential didn't seem right.  Sure enough the mortar being applied was natural and not off-white, semi relieved I asked the brickies what could be done to fix it and he said 'we'll just have to pull the wall down and start again'...WHAT??!!!!  But he said don't worry, it was my house and I was entitled to have what I'd paid for.  Aarghh, not another delay!!  Still smiley, smiley, I hot footed it off site and speedily got on the phone to my SS...who was off sick!!!!  Nooooo!!!  Thankfully he was picking up messages and called me back pronto apologising for the error and said that the brickies would continue laying with the correct mud and the rest would be bleached - PHEW!   Despite all the dramas, I am beside myself with excitement watching this process and cannot wait until the day we move in...well actually I'm a witch on moving day, so maybe the day after!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll help you move, but I think I need to check out some sort of sedative to pop into my pocket in case I get desperate. xx

Elizabeth said...

You won't be the only one with sedatives in your pocket-poor Matt will need them too having to deal with the wife that wants everything moved NOW! X

Elizabeth said...

You won't be the only one with sedatives in your pocket-poor Matt will need them too having to deal with the wife that wants everything moved NOW! X